Everything that you throw away, including food leftovers, ends up in your garbage bin, so it is not unusual that the mixture of waste you put in there causes it to create an intolerable odour. Trash smells, but you can reduce the odour from waste bins by following these strategies from National Bins.
Use Proper Trash Disposal Methods
The first step to reducing the foul smell from your rental dumpster bin is segregating the garbage. If you keep all the household waste in one place, the different odours will mingle and form a uniquely unpleasant smell – and quickly! Ideally, it’s best to separate your trash into four groups within your rental dumpster bin:
- Biodegradable waste: Leftover food, vegetable peelings, rotting food, and other kitchen waste should never be mixed with other waste. Try turning them into compost for your garden. If you must discard them, drain off as much liquid as you can, put them in a sealable container, such as a plastic grocery bag, and then dump them in the rental dumpster bin as soon as possible
- Non-biodegradable recyclable waste: items such as aluminium cans, plastic bottles, and other non-biodegradable items should also be put together and sent to a recycling facility.
- Waste paper products: these include dry paper materials like old files and cardboard, product packaging and office paper, which can be shredded and then taken to the recycle center.
- Garbage: Everything else can be put here and deposited in the garbage disposal bin. Make sure to clear the garage of any odours left behind.
Make Use of Odour Absorbers
Some common household supplies are effective at absorbing the odours from your rental dumpster bin. These include:
- Cat litter: sprinkle some cat litter inside your dumpster bins to absorb liquid and odours.
- Baking soda: scatter some baking soda inside the garbage bags and into the odourful the dumpster bin.
- Charcoal: this helps filter the odours when you add it to the dumpster bins.
- Dry coffee grounds: make sure the coffee grounds are well dried and add them to the bottom of the rental dumpster bin.
- Baking soda with vinegar and lemon juice: this mixture can be used to scrub down trash cans and rental dumpster bins between take-outs.
Mask the Smell with a Stronger Odour
Things you can use to mask the odour of stinky trash dumpster bins include vanilla extract, citrus peels, tea leaves and coffee grounds. It helps to leave them in the bin overnight. This absorbs and overshadows the bad odour from the trash.
Using any of these tips, or combining them all, will guarantee that odours from your rental dumpster bin are greatly reduced or completely eliminated. If you’re in need of a rental dumpster bin then don’t hesitate to Contact National Bins today to learn more!